Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tuesday, 1st of March 2011

The beginning of a new month, spring is springing. We have some blooms on the plum trees so there will definately be another freeze, at least one more.

Went into work a little earlier yesterday, started orientation at 12:30 with Brian, one of the new hires who should have been there Monday night if others had done their job and called him. Both my girls from Monday night arrived at 3 and I got them on the computer doing their courses.

Working were I work, Cracker Barrel Restaurant, since we opened the 1st of August 2005, we have regulars who come in once a week, once a day, sometimes even twice a day. So of course they become like family, you know them, their ups and downs etc. One of my favorites is a gentleman(not just a man, a true gentleman) by the name of Hollis Langford. I met Hollis just over 5 years ago. At that time he would come into the store alone, he was always dressed in black dress jeans and a black western shirt with a bolo tie and sporting a black cowboy hat with all sorts of military pins around the front brim. He came in to eat on Memorial day and I stopped to speak with him at his table. I asked him what branch of the service he'd served in and thanked him for his service. He told me that he'd been in the Navy during WW II as had his 3 brothers. What wonderful history he has. He told me that they had all served in the war, that one of his brothers had become a pilot but that he was also a scientist and when they started working on the Manhattan project his brother was on the team. This same brother worked with Albert Einstein also. I know he has many other stories and he's told me some of them which I can't remember at the moment. He loves to dance, every Thursday &/or Saturday night he could be found at the Seniors center in Weatherford or in Springtown dancing with the ladies. LOL. He was a bow hunter and taught others how to use a bow.

A little over 3 years ago Hollis came in to eat and he wasn't alone any more, he came in with a group of people including a lovely lady named Irene. Very petite, cute & sweet as can be. She was one of his many different dancing partners. Not long after Hollis and Irene came in alone and they'd gotten married, now Hollis is in his early 90's and Irene is a couple years older. They make the most adorable couple.

Just over a year ago Hollis was diagnosed for the 3rd time in his life with cancer, this time in his prostate, he was doing ok for a while but last night I saw Irene and her daughter Sue, they were in eating dinner and informed me that they'd had to have Hollis rushed to the hospital. He woke up in severe pain and couldn't hardly talk. Irene told me she had to lean down so close to hear him. He told her to call an ambulance.

Just a little history on Irene - Hollis is so proud of her, he tells everyone he meets that she is in the Hall of Fame for Women in the War. During WW II Irene was a welder on tanks, because of her petite size she was able to get into the inside of the cannon barrel and other tight, small places to weld.

I love these people, they are the most gentlest, sweetest people you would ever meet. It breaks my heart that he isn't doing well and Sue tells me they think that the cancer has moved into the bone. He's beaten cancer twice in his life, I'd like to see it happen again but I know it's unlikely. So prayers needed for comfort.

On another note to finish out my day, got home a bit after 7 and chilled out watching Biggest Looser and Southland all while Robert searched for travel trailers for sale and showed me different pictures. LOL

So that wraps up my day. God Bless and keep you until tomorrow.

No comments: